#115 new
Andy Robertson

Adding tags to an item that are the same as existing tags but with non-latin lettering is causing duplicate tags reported in the results

Reported by Andy Robertson | November 13th, 2008 @ 05:13 PM

Joe public decides he needs to add some information on the Māori Battalion.

He enters the title of Māori Battalion the Short title of Māori Battalion Enters to lots of information on the Battalion. Things like

Te Whare Wānanga o te Ūpoko o te Ika a Māui

With lots of nice macron's. All is good. Then we add some tags to the document. We'd like

māori battilion 23 te whare wānanga o te ūpoko o te ika a māui, ika a māui, māori battilion, te whare wānanga

The items is created.

Looks good all our tags have the correct macrons over the letters.

māori battilion 23 te whare wānanga o te ūpoko o te ika a māui, ika a māui, māori battilion, te whare wānanga

Looking in the database the records are all stored with the correct macronisation. Thats nice.

Oh but its probably not searchable with the macrons so we'll go back in and copy and past the macronsised tags and make them extra tags in the box. So now I enter in the tag box

māori battilion 23 te whare wānanga o te ūpoko o te ika a māui, ika a māui, māori battilion, te whare wānanga, maori battilion 23 te whare wananga o te upoko o te ika a maui, ika a maui, maori battilion, te whare wananga

commit

now my tag list is

māori battilion 23 te whare wānanga o te ūpoko o te ika a māui, māori battilion 23 te whare wānanga o te ūpoko o te ika a māui, ika a māui, ika a māui, māori battilion, māori battilion, te whare wānanga, te whare wānanga

I now have duplicate tags and they are ALL macronised.

I now add another record. Maori Battalion 25. It has a single tag, the tag is maori battalion the non macronised version. When I add the item is now shows māori battilion. The macronised version. So I edit the document and sure enough the tag shows as māori battilion. So I add a second tag for it

māori battilion, maori battilion

commit

It now shows two tags both macronised.

So the first spelling of the tag is being used for all the different representations of it from then on.

TRYED IT THE OTHER WAY USING THE WORD māori. STARTED WITH NON MACRONISED VERSION and added the macronised tag. The result of this is the tags are duplicated but they are the non macronised versions. My record shows tags

maori, editing words, macrons, interesting

I edit it and try and add māori as a second tag. Now the tags are

maori, maori, editing words, macrons, interesting

Its seems the first version stored to the db wins. I add māori to the battilion 25 record tags. So now my tags for battalion 25 are

maori, māori battilion, māori battilion

The entry tags with original tags for maori is record 72 in topics in it looks like this when displayed

maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, editing words, macrons, interesting

As I edited it 4 times trying to add māori as an option.

Interestingly the tags table shows tag 129 is maori, record 72 in topics is "māori words" and table taggings shows records

id, tag_id, taggable_id,taggable_type 436,129,72,topic 437,129,72,topic 438,129,72,topic 439,129,72,topic

So the first spelling of the word wins, all other normalisation ends up pointing to this version but it thinks they are distinct.

Now for some fun.

tags

maori, editing words, macrons, interesting, mĀori, mĂori, mĄori, màori, máori, mâori, mãori, mäori, måori

Gives me the combined tags with my previous 4 of

maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, maori, editing words, macrons, interesting

When editing the tags I see only one. What happens If I delete it ?

They are all removed. My tags are now

editing words, macrons, interesting

And in the database I see the records 436-439 have been removed.

So I check my other record for Battlion 25

Its still got the non macronised maori.

Tags: maori, māori battilion, māori battilion

Add the tag back onto my maori record with the macron on it. Its back but not macronised.

I'm added the two different māori to the tags for lighthouse to see how it deals with them.

Comments and changes to this ticket

Please Sign in or create a free account to add a new ticket.

With your very own profile, you can contribute to projects, track your activity, watch tickets, receive and update tickets through your email and much more.

New-ticket Create new ticket

Create your profile

Help contribute to this project by taking a few moments to create your personal profile. Create your profile ยป

Kete was developed by Horowhenua Library Trust and Katipo Communications Ltd. to build a digital library of Horowhenua material.

Pages